Years in Operation: 1955-1960
1/4 mile dirt oval (1955-56)
1/3 mile paved oval (1957-60)
Click an image - photos will appear in a new window
Wally Pullen (#30) is stuck on the railroad ties and Bob Coates (#22) spins in turn 3 - May 1956. Photo taken by Ted Grant. Copy provided by the Ottawa City Archives and submitted by Dave Truemner.
Spring of 1957: The new guard-rail has just been installed, although the tops of the posts are not yet trimmed to size. Workers from Diblee Construction are paving the turn-4 area. Note that the track has been slightly lengthened ... part of the earlier dirt track is still visible in the infield. Photo from the Truemner collection.
Keith James in the Hollister Ford, May 1957. A 17 or 18-year old car, with a brand-new OHV, V-8 engine. Photo by Ted Grant, courtesy of the City of Ottawa Archives and submitted by Dave Truemner.
Ed Joiner,1939 Chev, in the pits on June 6, 1956. Photo by Ted Grant, courtesy of the City of Ottawa Archives and submitted by Dave Truemner.
June 13, 1956: Dave Kenyon winning the feature in his 1938 Dodge. Photo by Ted Grant courtesy of the City of Ottawa Archives and submitted by Dave Truemner.
July 1956: the late Larry Foster trying to keep control of his '38 Dodge coupe while the left front wheel rolls away. Note the very-dented roof...this car had been dubbed 'Dippy Duck' because it had rolled over so many times during previous evenings of racing. Photo taken by Ted Grant coutesy of the City of Ottawa Archives and submitted by Dave Truemner.
June 3, 1959 Stu Trudel in one of several cars that had been sponsored by the CTC store at Kent St & Laurier Ave., in downtown Ottawa. Note the checkered-pattern Start/Finish line just ahead of the car's front wheels, near the centre of the grandstand. Courtesy of Dave Truemner.
In front of the grandstand on June 12, 1957. Car 55 ('38 Plymouth) driven by Ray Routliffe about to hit Vince Berndt's #66 ('39 Ford). Courtesy of Dave Truemner.
Lansdowne Park Stadium, circa 1965. A football game appears to be in progress. The old, original Lansdowne Pk grandstand is visible on the left (north-side) of the field, and the newer south-side bleachers are on the right, on top of the former back straight of the stock car track. A smaller set of bleachers has also been placed on the turn 3-4 end of the oval. Photo from the City of Ottawa Archives. Courtesy of Dave Truemner.
May 1958 "Ivor-the-Driver" Williams being presented with the trophy for winning the A-class Feature Race by flag man Ken Cosgrove. Courtesy of Dave Truemner.